Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Opening Analysis : Sicilian Dragon 9.h4

During my preparation for last Friday NMCC Blitz Chess Thematic : Sicilian Dragon Tourney, i studied a line suggest by one of the frequent visitor of this blog - catur itu bulat . He suggest unusual line which start with 9.h4


Sicilian Dragon

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 0–0 8.Qd2 Nc6 The normal continuation is the Yugoslav Attack variation starting with 9.Bc4 followed by 0-0-0-Bb3 and h4... but here white choose to go straight to the offensive with 9.h4!?


It's this move good or bad ? Lets look it objectively. In a positive aspect, white choose the typical idea of pushing the h-pawn to break open black king side. However the drawbacks is white king safety is not secure yet. I studied this variation with Fritz 11. Fritz opening book suggest a typical idea against pawn storm attack from the side. The reply is to break the centre immediately with 9...d5 !

Now white have basically two main alternative ,

a) 10.h5 Nxd4 11.Bxd4 dxe4 12.hxg6 hxg6 13.0–0–0 exf3 14.Qg5 Threatening 15.Bxf6 exf6 16.Qh4 14...Qc7 15.Nd5 Nxd5 16.Bxg7 Bf5 This is quite unusual because it is black first who is threatening to mate white with 17. Qxc2++ 17.c3 This is the critical position. Fritz opening book suggest exchanging the queen with 17...Qf4+ however Fritz engine give 17...Kxg7 with a big advantage !? 18.Qxf4 Nxf4 19.Bxf8



b) 10.0-0-0 dxe4 11.h5 white abandon his centre and go all out for king side attack

However, i found that the continuation is not that simple. When i ( with Fritz) go deeper, we went trough many "wild" continuation .

I end the analysis here. Anyone interested can study this line and perhaps apply it on your game but ...don't blame me if you lost ! :)

1 comment:

Rizal Ahmad Kamal said...

Dear famous chess blogger,

Actually I still remember that I witnessed a game (rapid time control 30 minutes) between Agus Salim (white) and Saprin Sabri which took place next to my board in one of tournaments (I think in Shah Alam's library). The game exactly played the line 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 0–0 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.h4!? and if I am not mistaken Saprin played 9...d5.

Unfortunately, I had forgotten the continuation. The game was keyed in into my old notebook (dos version) and sadly to say, I cannot boot it any more (it is malfunction). If anyone have the skill to take out the old harddisk and dig into the hard disk, and off course extract all my databases there (many games were recalled by my memory within 24 hours after the game finished and many games keyed in from hardcopy (original scoresheets) which had been thrown away later), I hope he can volunteer to take this task.

I also attach here all my games (which I played) during the first thematic tournament. (Hopefully I can play in full cycle in future.. suggesting Sicilian Najdorf!!)


Thank you,

From http://rizalschesstrading.blogspot.com/