Friday, May 16, 2008

Collin Madhavan

Collin Madhavan
Photo from kid4chess.com


I noticed from Andrew Ooi Blog that there is article in News Straits Times about Collin Madhavan (above) upcoming attempts to break a simultaneous chess record on May 18 at the RB Land office in Seremban 2. Collin Madhavan will play against 88 chess players simultaneously and he'll be monitor by the Malaysia Book of Records representative.


Below is an excerpts from his personal e-mail to me regarding my previous article :-
......"Hi Hairul,Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I really appreciate it. In fact, I was really surprised to see the event reported on Susan's blog - what a nice surprise for M'sian Chess. I think it's really positive. You know, I love Chess to the point that I have sacrificed a lot in life, but that's me!! And these last few years after getting to learn more about Chess and about mind development, I am even more convinced that Chess is the Ultimate Game!!!

However, just like everywhere else in the world, Chess promotion has always been a problem, Chess education maybe even bigger. I liked Chess to be discussed and played everywhere, in the tea stalls, in the park, by the road sides (like Chow Kit), in schools, everywhere. And over the past 2 years, I've been formulating a plan on how to make more Chess news in the papers and for Chess to go where it has not gone before. I want to give every Malaysian the OPPORTUNITY to learn the game. That's my deal. I don't like publicity for myself, good or bad. I like publicity for Chess. Chess is bigger than all of us put together. I want people to look at Chess as a very respectable game, a game for the young and for the old.

I've commented about your Putrajaya Tournament last year because your chess people are doing something so special for the people of PutraJaya. And so once again, well done on your work, your chess site and please keep up the good work. The Malaysian chess community would be poorer if your column is not around....."

No comments: