1. Although not yet a Grandmaster (GM), Ismail must be proud to achive the Grandfather (GF) title ! He have two GF norm already ( two lovely grandson!) and only need one more "norm" to confirm the title ...lol
2. He won the World Police Chess Champion in Barcelona in 2003. One incident happen before the prize giving ceremony when the organiser refuse at first to award Ismail the prize because there's a dispute about Ismail nationality. Some players claim that Ismail is a Philipines or Indonesian ( two strong chess country) illegaly play for Malaysia which is not so strong country ( generally known) . They ask for Ismail Identity Card ( I.C) to prove his nationality which is ridicolous because Ismail's passport should be good enough to prove it. Eventually after some clarification, they award the prize to Ismail anyway.
3. Ismail said that he is a chess maniac, sometimes he will read chess book in a restroom ( when nature call!) which is quite a common habit among chess fanatics..including yours truly... :)
4. In one case, while waiting for his wife (who i believe is not feeling well at that time ) meet the doctor in the clinic...Ismail wait outside in his car and play chess online!
5. He won US Army Open ( open for uniform organsation - police,army,etc..) in 2004 for both category ( classical and blitz!).
6. He is lately sponsored by his sister in law who own a motorcycle shop - JEFFOLEA in Sungai Petani, Kedah. The company sponsor his tournament expenses such as his tournament fee, accomodation, notebook, transport, t-shirt and jacket. [ I wonder if JEFFOFLEA interested to sponsor hairulovchessmaniacs !? :) ]
7. Beside doing some private chess coaching, Ismail is appointed as JEFFOFLEA chess coach.
Below is one of his "masterpiece" against former national player - Mohd Saprin Sabri in MERDEKA rapid team event in 2003 .
Ismail Ahmad vs Mohd Saprin Sabri
1.d4 Nf6 2.Bg5 Ne4 3.h4 c5 4.Nc3 Qa5 5.Bd2 Nd2 6.Qd2 cxd4 7.Qd4 Nc6 8.Qd5 Qd8 9.0-0-0 g6 10.Nf3 Bg7 11.Ng5 0-0 12.e3 h6 13.Nge4 d6 14.h5 g5 15.f4 gxf4 16.exf4 Qb6 17.Re1 a6 18.Qb3 Qa5 19.Bc4 b5 20.Bxf7 Rxf7 21.Nxd6 exd6 22.Re8 Bf8 23. Ne4 Qb4??
24Nf6+! Kg7 25Qg3 Kxf6 26. Qg6#
As we all already know, Ismail won the recently concluded, Kuala Langat Open . His win was even publish in today newspaper - Utusan Malaysia and according to Ismail who sms me..it was also announcent in local radio - radio fm.
Below are some of his chess achievement :-
1990 - Allegro Kedah - Champion1991- PAMERAN BUKU ANTARABANGSA - Champion
• 1992- Malay Open - Runners up
• 5 times Selangor Champion.
• 1997-Best below 2100 rated player - tournament in
• 1999-Malay Master Champion
• 2001-National Closed runners up
• Tree Time MERDEKA OPEN Champion ( Consecutively).
• 2003-UNIVERSITY of CYBERJAYA Open Champion
• 3 times PDRM sportsman nominees
• 5 times MAKSAK best board winner
• 2 times MAKSAK sporstman nominees
• 2003-WORLD POLICE CHESS CHAMPION ! - Barcelona, Spain
• 2003-Bronze Medalist - SEA Games - Vietnam
• 2003- Terengganu Open - runners up
• 2003- MERDEKA Team Champion
• 2004-PINGAT B.P.P. SEMPENA KEPUTERAAN YG DI PERTUAN AGONG.
• 2004-US Army Open (Classical))
• 2004-US Army Open ( Blitz)
• 2006-UIA Open - Runners up
• 2006 ROYAL SELANGOR CLUB OPEN -runners up
• 2007 FIDE Rating MCF InvitationTournament - Champion
• 2007 MERDEKA Team (STANDARD) - Champion
• 2007 GERAK KHAS Open (MELAKA) -Runners up
• 2008 KLUANG(JOHOR) Open - Champion
• 2008 BANDARAYA JOHOR Open - runners Up
• 2008 TOP 3 National Closed
• 2008 Malaysian Best Team (MERDEKA Rapid)
• 2008 best Board(MERDEKA rapid )
• 2008 Kuala Langat Open Champion.