Thursday, July 12, 2007

Sam Sloan USCF Executive Board Candidate Statements!

Photo : Sam Sloan

I’ve just read an interesting article about United State Chess federation (USCF) Executive Board Candidates Statements in the April 2007 Chess Life Magazine issue. In 2007 the USCF will hold an election to elect three (3) members to the USCF Executive Board for terms of four (4) years beginning at the conclusion of the 2007 Delegates Meeting and one (1) member to complete the remaining two (2) years of Robert Tanner's term, effective with the certification of election results.
The 10 candidates, in the order in which they will appear on the ballot, are:Susan Polgar, Randy Bauer, Mike Goodall, Joe Lux , Sam Sloan, Stephen Jones, Paul Truong, Jim Berry, Don Schultz, Mikhail Korenman .

Reading the candidates statements, I’ve really shocked by what Sam Sloan statements.

“ Ever since I took office last August, I have fulfilled or tried to fulfill every campaign promise I made. I have tried to determine why the USCF lost two million dollars in past years. I have exposed payments made by board members to their political allies. I have in most cases (but not in all cases) stopped wasteful expenditures. Most importantly, I have opened the doors to the inner sanctum and exposed political deals and secrets which are not secret anymore.Tremendous efforts were made to stop me from taking the office to which I had been elected. Efforts have been made to censure me, to reprimand me, and to recall me. Big bucks are going to be spent this year to stop me from being re-elected, and for good reason. It is up to you, the voters, to decide whether you want to return to the politics of secrecy, whether you want the door that I have opened to be slammed shut again.The delegates, in their wisdom, have voted to give me 100 words to explain my court case in Virginia. I have eight children. One of them is Shamema, whom many of you met when I used to bring her to international chess tournaments. When Shamema was eight years old, she was kidnapped by persons unrelated to us and taken to Virginia. When I came to Virginia to try to rescue my kidnapped daughter, I was immediately arrested, tried and convicted of attempted abduction of my daughter ”.



Photo: FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov holding Sam Sloan son !

This person really have a colourful live..... I've search for more information about Sam, and this is what i get...

USCF candidate, taxi-driver, polygamist, gadfly – all these epitaphs fit one of the most colorful personalities in world chess. Sam Sloan has been jailed in Afghanistan, fought Pakistani kidnappers, had lunch with terrorist mastermind bin Laden, fled US courts who want access to his father's alleged $50 million fortune. And you thought chess players led dull lives?
Sam was born in 1944 and grew up in Lynchburg, Virginia. He went to the University of California at Berkeley, majoring in math. He is a fairly strong chess player, has lived in many different countries. He has been married to ladies with names like Dayawathie Pedigedera Rankoth, Anda Baumanis, Shamema Honzagool, Shanti Latha Vithange and Kayo Kimura, from whom he has eight children. In 1979 he changed his name to M. Ismail Sloan, but still uses the name Samuel H. Sloan when appropriate.
Sloan runs the web site which is, shall we say, optimised for length and simplicity of design. It is essentially a super-blog, started a decade before blogs were invented. Some of the articles are very long and require real commitment on the part of the reader. Many have Midi files of classical music running in the background. They can be turned off by clicking the "Stop" button of your browser.
We must mention that Sam Sloan has been responsible for a few canards in the past, most famously reporting that Peter Leko was involved in a fatal car crash in December 2002. We do not take responsibility for the veracity of the following report, although we did contact Sam and got a great deal of corroborative information, which is added in the second part of this article. It contains a lot of new information on the reclusive chess genius Kamsky.

No comments: